The biggest thing that I'd change with my initial setup is the fans ! The one on the video card is pretty noisy - and initial attempts to fit a Zalman VGA Cooler to it created a monster about 5mm too tall to close the case ! Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have put in a slightly faster processor (not that this one is a problem, just thinking ahead) and maybe gone for an even larger hard drive....
The biggest area however that you can tweak and personalise the solution is...
- Allows you to connect to your machine and schedule recordings from the other side of the world
- SlySoft AnyDVD
- If, like me, you often get DVDs from friends overseas this allows you to play them without region protecting getting in the way.
- DVD Shrink
- Sometimes you just want to backup your DVDs to the hard drive. It makes for easy access and stops the kids using them as a coaster. This app lets you make a personal use backup (with and without various levels of compression) of any DVD you own.
- The ultimate way to manage DVD and Videos within your MCE. Browse your movie collection by titles, actors, directors or genres - all with covers and images. You can also password restrict certain movies by MPAA rating, build a multizone movie index and much more!
- BladeRunner Pro
- Here in Australia we don't yet have a working EPG (Boo Hiss to the networks who copyright the data) so there are some work-arounds. BRP is pretty much the easiest and most comprehensive free solution.
- If you have a VFD or LCD display on your case, why not make it earn its keep when MCE is running
- Sometimes it's nice to get a bit more information than just looking out of the window. This utility grabs data from The Weather Channel to give you up to a weeks forecast
- If you have an X10 installation, this allows you to control it from your MCE
Without a doubt a community forum such as XPMediaCentre (AU) is going to be your best source for support, advice and handy applications....